OK, we have a new Avenger! Doctor Strange came on the scene a week ago in the MCU, and I of course, have some thoughts and feels. Now, you’ve had a week, so I can spoil all I wanna, so if you are a total goober and haven’t seen the movie yet, you might want to revisit this post later.
I’m not a movie reviewer, and I will not pretend to be one today. I thought I would share some thoughts and feels from the movie. Talk back in the comments. We want to hear what you guys think of our latest Avenger.
- The Cloak of Levitation was one of my favorite characters in the film. I have a deep understanding of that cloak. It gets me.
- Yes, you can also call it a cape. The two terms are interchangeable. The formal name of the relic is the Cloak of Levitation, but if you call it a cape, that’s still correct. Everyone chill.
- I love how all of the Marvel heroes have, as the Ancient One says, “Such a capacity for good.” Despite their flaws and obstacles, they have an overwhelming capacity for good.
- More strong women characters! Yeah, Marvel! Get it! The Strange comics honestly didn’t have any women in them to speak of, but in the MCU, there is diversity and inclusion. Good show!
- There was a lot of shade thrown about the Ancient One being a Celtic woman and not an Asian man. I get it. I really do. However, Marvel has a grand plan for all of their universe, so I trust them. Also, the Ancient One in the comics was such an Asian stereotype; I applaud Marvel for diverting from that. Lastly, it turns out that the Ancient One was incredibly flawed as she drew power from the dark universe. Did you guys want the Asian to turn out to be a stereotypical baddie?
- I’m back on the cape. It is not only a magical relic, but a fashion item! This movie gets me.
- The word “spells” was used repeatedly. Made my Magickal heart just sing!
- Dr. Strange uses his powers to swipe books from the library, so he could astrally project in order to read more. Tell me this, can you get any nerdier than that?!
- “It’s not about you.”
- “I just wanted to watch the snow.” (I’m not crying, you are!)
- The hand holding (I’m still not crying. It’s just dusty in here!)
- “This doesn’t make any sense.” “Not everything does.” “Not everything has to.” So. Much. Truth!
- The harpsichord in the score. Genius!
- The costumes. So good.
- The first post-credits scene makes me so excited for the future!
- The humor in the film was just fantastic.
- I am now a Cumberbitch for LYFE!
Up next, recaps of Stan Lee’s LA Comic Con, including my new Doctor Strange dress by Elhoffer Design. Until next time, open your eye…
Love, Kim and Scout
*All “Doctor Strange” photos: Marvel Studios
*Cover of “Empire” magazine from Empire Magazine