Before we get into the rest of our trip to WonderCon, we wanted to give you a step-by-step tutorial for making a super easy cosplay jetpack. We made ours for Scout’s Rocket cosplay, but the instructions would work for any jetpack.
Here’s what you will need:
- Posture Corrector Brace- Available at Amazon here
- Metallic spraypaint for the tanks of the pack. We used this one and this one
- Hot glue gun
- Water or soda bottles for the tanks
- Two colors of net fabric for the “flames”. We used these in yellow and orange
- Order your posture brace
- Get the appropriate bottle or bottles for your tanks. We used two square medium sized bottles for Rocket’s tanks. Pick bottles that are simply shaped. For example, if you use the classic Coke bottle, it won’t look like a jet pack tank at all. Also, choose the appropriate size for the cosplayer. Discard the tops
- Spraypaint the bottles
- Take your brace and put it on. Have someone hold the tanks up to the back and mark for placement
- Hot glue the tanks together (if you have two tanks) and then hot glue them onto the brace
- Take your two fabrics and cut them in half. Roll the two different colors together in two bundles. Put the two rolls into your tanks and adjust for length (For example, we didn’t want to burn Rocket’s tail off, so we made the flames a little shorter)
- Hot glue the fabric to the inside of the bottles
Then you have a super-easy, super-awesome cosplay jetpack!
Make sure you send us pictures of your creations.
Next up, more on our trip to WonderCon.
Love, Kim and Scout
*Professional Photos by Justin Davidson Photography. Book him here.